When do I need a building permit?

A building permit is required for all new construction, both new residential and new commercial properties within the City of Solon.  A building permit is also required for most home improvements such as accessory buildings (sheds/garages), swimming pools (in-ground/above ground), decks, enclosed porches, additions, solar systems, remodels and basement finishing.  Please contact Solon City Hall with questions about your project 319-624-3755.

Fences over 6 ft. high require a building permit.  All fences shall be places 1 ft. off the property line and 5 ft. from any easements. See City Code section 167.05 for fence guidelines. Code 167. Section 167.05

Sheds under 144 square feet do not require a building permit. See Code 167.  Section 167.07

Replacing of siding, roof and windows on residential homes does not require a building permit.  Commercial roof replacement does require a building permit. 

All in-ground swimming pools require a building permit and fence.  Above-ground swimming pools are exempt from a building permit if the pool is less than 24 inches deep. A fence is required for all swimming pools that are not exempt. More information on pool requirements HERE

Open Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area,  open decks not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, and open decks where the exit door is not code required are exempt from a building permit.

Covered decks and enclosed porches require a building permit.

Building permit applications can be found under the "HOW DO I" tab on the website homepage and also HERE.

Building permit applications can also be completed online - HERE

Building permit applications typically can be processed within 7-10 working days once all information has been submitted. 

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a building permit?